Having Canadian Court orders Recognized in Japan

Home  > Legal Issues > Having Canadian Court orders Recognized in Japan
My two Canadian borm children have been abducted to Japan by my Japanese ex wife Ayako Maniwa. We are legally divorced and there are Canadian Court orders in place giving me sole custody and guardianship of the children. However, I consented to Ayako taking the children to visit their dying grandfather in Yono City Saitama. As soon as she left I started making discoveries that led me to believe she was not planning to return. The Consul at the Canadian Embassy contacted Ayako. At a meeting at here parents house in Yono City Ayako informed the Consul that she intended to keep the children in Japan and sue for custody there.

I have read a bit about the Japanese legal system and realize that I am in a very bad situation. Does anyone have any advice? I have a list of lawyers provided by the Canadian Embassy. Does anyone have a specific recommendation of someone I should contact in the Tokyo/Saitama area?
Posted By:
Andrew (51 posts)
12/9/2004 11:07:35 PM
re: Having Canadian Court orders...   profile
Hi Murray,

I used this guy to do some basic legal errands on my behalf (I'm from UK - he's based in Chiba, Japan which is 40 minutes train-ride out of Tokyo):-

Ishizuka (surname) Hirokatsu (firstname)
Email: info@ishizuka-office.com
Tel: +81-43-297-4609

I last contacted him about a year ago, so I don't really know his current rates, but he was very reasonable with fees when I hired him. He has a very strong grasp of English too (important!) - write to him politely in English by e-mail. HOWEVER, I found him a little moody, and we had a few disagreements - I'd suggest he's good for basic legal jobs like getting forms, filling them in and submitting them on your behalf.

Hope this helps. - good luck!

Edited 09/12/2004 23:08:47
joey25 (9 posts)
12/26/2007 5:05:21 PM
re: Having Canadian Court orders...   profile
I feel for you. I'm fighting for custody of my son and when I get it I will never set foot on Japanese soil with him until he's an adult. If his wants to see him here, I will never let them out of my sight. It's so sad how so many fathers have learned the hard way.

FRIJ recommends you also visit crn japan, who are fighting international abduction to Japan and working to assure children in Japan of meaningful contact with both parents regardless of marital status