Will a JN Court Refuse Jurisdiction?

Home  > Legal Issues > Will a JN Court Refuse Jurisdiction?
hello all.

I, my spouse, my son are US citizens. My wife is Japanese. We were married in Japan. We have been in Japan 2 1/2yrs. Our boy was born in the US. He is also registered as Japanese.

My wife is attempting a stay-behind abduction.

Assuming I could leave Japan with my boy, and file for divorce/custody in the US, the problem (for me) is US laws that defer to Japan for custody jurisdition. The US judge would ask a Japanese judge if they want to exercise jurisdiciton, since my son lived in japan over 6 months.

So I ask, do you think a Judge would NOT want to take jurisdiction if in any of these cases:

- Because I and my son are no longer in Japan.

- If I had a "block divorce" notice on file in our city hall.

- If I had a city hall divorce on file and I was named as responcible for the child.

Thanks in advance.
Posted By:
Nobody has replied to this topic yet

FRIJ recommends you also visit crn japan, who are fighting international abduction to Japan and working to assure children in Japan of meaningful contact with both parents regardless of marital status