JAPAN - UK divorce query

Home  > Legal Issues > JAPAN - UK divorce query
I have just been through a divorce here in Japan.
Divorce was done through saiban not "kyogi".
Anyway,I married in England and divorced in Japan.
As far as I am aware the saiban divorce is recognized in the UK.
However it seems that there is nowhere in the UK to register a divorce and so it would seem that as far as all records in the UK are concerned,
I am still married.This is not a desirable state of affairs and neither the British Consulate nor various lawyers in the UK and Japan have been able to give me any advice/answers.
Basically, I want to have my divorce registered in some way in the UK.
Hope this makes sense,and that someone can shed some light on this for me.
Best regards..MF

Edited 1/25/2007 9:49:03 AM
Posted By:
kansaiguy (1 posts)
2/26/2007 10:16:54 AM
re: JAPAN - UK divorce query   profile

I am interested to read your situation, because I am now in a similar situation myself.
I am seperated from my wife now, she has been back in Japan for 5 months, and I am here in the UK.
I need to arrange a divorce now, but I am unsure of the best way to go about this so that it will be recognised by a court in the UK.
Have you found any further information on the best way to proceed with your UK divorce?

Any help appreciated.

jimmydae (2 posts)
3/21/2007 3:11:06 AM
re: JAPAN - UK divorce query   profile
Hello MF and Nat,

I am in the same situation but I am going for the mutually
consent divorce in Japan. I just wanted to know if after the mutual
consent divorce, I am legally bind to pay my ex any monies
or compensation??

robertmedhurst (5 posts)
5/29/2008 5:37:15 PM
re: JAPAN - UK divorce query   profile
Register with the Divorce Registry uk

FRIJ recommends you also visit crn japan, who are fighting international abduction to Japan and working to assure children in Japan of meaningful contact with both parents regardless of marital status