Hi DJ...

Home  > Stories > Hi DJ...
Hi DJ,

Regarding divorce by mutual agreement(consent) is no problem. You'll probably be asked to agree to sign over custody to your future X. At the moment I don't think you're obliged to pay anything although the law is supposed to be changing in Japan. But whether it's been enacted or not, I'm not sure. If you're living in Japan, your future X may take you to family court after divorcing by mutual consent. That's what my X did to me. She tried to get compensation but that was soon dropped. She then went after me for child support. We eventually made a contract at family court but she's been reneging on it ever since. What I would do if you're living in Japan, is consult a lawyer for 5000 yen for 30 minutes. Think of all the possible questions you would like to ask and write them down before going for the consultation. Also, even if you make a great contract at family court, don't ever agree to any lump sums. So if your future X takes off, you won't feel the pinch. And if you do end up making a contract, make sure that if she reneges on the contract in any way, that you will be absolved from making further payments. Make sure this is in writing on the contract.

I also recommend you take a look at crnjapan.com. This site has vast amounts of info and could definitely give you some good ideas.

You're not alone out there.

Steven R. Leduc
Posted By:
Steven R. Leduc
Nobody has replied to this topic yet

FRIJ recommends you also visit crn japan, who are fighting international abduction to Japan and working to assure children in Japan of meaningful contact with both parents regardless of marital status