What about dual citizenship?

Home  > Legal Issues > What about dual citizenship?
My infant daughter holds a U.S. Passport and dual citizenship with Japan. I am currently in the U.S. military stationed in Japan. Doesn't the fact that my daughter is a U.S. citizen provide me with some rights? I simply cannot believe that it does not. If my wife and I divorce, how can I ensure that I will be able to see her and be in her life? Posted By:
rhainejp (1 posts)
5/23/2007 5:20:20 PM
re: What about dual citizenship?   profile
.. at the age of 21 your doughter will free to choose what citizenship she will. Thats all I know..
cherizzle (1 posts)
6/11/2007 9:15:59 PM
re: What about dual citizenship?   profile
Unfortunately, it doesn't mean anything. If things don't work out with your wife, never, ever, ever sign divorce papers in Japan or you will be royally screwed. Japan does not enforce any kind of custody arrangement, and the family courts will most likely give the mother full custody. Children are not protected in the family court, the blood line is. Keeping Japanese in Japan seems to be the main priority, which is ironic because no one will ever consider a "half" child to be Japanese in other circumstances, although the discrimination factor may seem to be improving, I have my doubts considering that historically the Japanese have been very proud of their pure bred race.
Foreign fathers have no rights in Japan, you may be treated respectfully and with politeness, but you will always be just a "gaijin".

Also, since Japan hasn't signed the Hague convention, they do not enforce any US court rulings. Be aware that if you ever return to the US with your wife and things don't work out, she can take your child back to Japan and be fully protected. Even if you have the passports in your possession and take action against her from getting a US passport for your child, your wife will be able to go to the Japanese consulate and get travel documents for the child. No questions asked.
Sorry to be so blatant, but it is the honest truth, and I wish I had known sooner.

FRIJ recommends you also visit crn japan, who are fighting international abduction to Japan and working to assure children in Japan of meaningful contact with both parents regardless of marital status